All About Me
My name is Amber Johnston. Let me start by telling you a little bit about how I became interested in photography. My dad was really into nature and macro photography when I was growing up. I would go with him on hikes through the woods, where he would bring along his camera and photograph all things big and small. I loved looking through his pages and pages of photographs. He showed me the beauty in nature. I wanted to capture that same beauty in people. I remember when I got my first film camera (yes film!). I took photos of everything. I loved going through rolls and rolls of film, and flipping through tons of photos after they were developed. Even if they were bad, because it showed me where I needed to improve.
It took me a long time to take the leap into professional photography. I was (and still am) a very shy person. I started out by working at JCP portrait studio. People knock "Department Studios" because they focus on the amount of people they can get in and out of the studio in a day. I can understand that line of thought, but for me it was a perfect stepping stone. I learned how to interact with people, and work with posing. It built my confidence.
I bought my own digital camera, and got to work learning all about everything photography. I went to Lansing Community College and learned the basics on lighting techniques, and editing. I took that education and began putting it to use in the real world. I still love to learn new and exciting ways to create beautiful photography.
I owe a huge thanks to my husband, Allen Johnston. He pushed me into opening a photography business, and has been a huge supporter. He also handles all the business end of things so I can focus on the photography and editing part of it. He is also the best assistant I could ask for at weddings, and family sessions.
I also want to mention another important part of this business. My sister, Leanne. She is my go to assistant with all my newborn sessions. I can always trust her to keep that sweet little darling safe at all times. She also anticipates my needs, and I couldn't ask for better.
Some fun facts about me:
- I married my soul mate on May 18, 2002 in the church where my parents, and aunts and uncles, got married.
- I have 4 kids. Two sons, a step-son, and a step-daughter.
- I hate having my picture taken. (Which is why you will rarely see one of me.)
- I shoot with Canon equipment.
- I have 4 chihuahuas.
- I am ichthyophobic! (means I am afraid of fish). I can eat them, but don't ask me to touch one. I don't swim in any body of water that may have fish. But, I am not so afraid that I cannot go to an aquarium (I just don't get too close to the glass).
- I love to read dark fantasy novels. Give me a great vampire novel any day!
- I may have a slight addiction to coffee. Specifically Caramel Lattes. And it flares up whenever I sit down to edit.
- I may be slightly...okay majorly obsessed with Doctor Who. (No I don't have a favorite Doctor, I love them each for their own style).
- I would love to own a Delorean and a Tesla Roadster.
- I used to work at JCP Portrait Studio, where I earned the nickname "The Baby/Child Whisperer" because (according to the other photographers) I could get even the fussy kids to smile.
- My husband and I are part owners of a plane, and we LOVE to spontaneously jump in the plane and fly around town at night. He has the license, not me. I am happy being a passenger.